Having parted company with the chap who managed the garden I am now in sole charge and I know that I shall make blundering errors and will just have to learn from my own mistakes. In fact, as a kind reader pointed out, I made one with my early radish planting, something I have started to correct today.
The initial line was planted far to close together and so I have tried to thin it out a bit and with those radishes transplanted have created two more lines as you can see below. I am not sure how many, if any, of the transplants will survivive but they and the original line, which will need another thinning in two weeks, are now safe under cloches. I have also planted two more lines of radishes, not under cloches as it will be late March by the time they emerge fromthe ground- if they do – at the other end of the bed. This time they are all well spaced out. We shall see how this works. Another two lines will go in, in three weeks time. Given the rave reviews of my radishes pickled SE Asian style, I figure we can’t grow enough of them.
And I have also planted my first two lines of broad beans following the instructions carefully. Last year I was in Greece when the broad beans were ready so I missed the lot. This year my travel plans are different so I hope to be hear when they are ready. Again, it is fingers crossed and another batch will go in at the end of this month. Tomorrow it is garlic planting. We are still using the last of the 2021 garlic produce which I threaded so brilliantly and then stored in the larder. This year I hope to double the output but, again, it is all trial and error.
Next up it will be leeks, cauliflowers and sprouts. We still have a very few sprouts and cabbages from the winter harvest and one last small cauliflower to work our way through. The winter harvest of all three was a trifle disappointing so my hope is that the summer harvest will be abit better.